You and your girlfriends could make a very sexy entrance with this look from a cool video from the 80s era. The Robert Palmer Girls were infamous thanks to two of Robert Palmer’s hit singles, “Addicted to Love” and “Simply Irresistible”. Notably, the makeup is quite stark, and it would also make an interesting costume idea for Halloween.
So the actual Palmer Girls costume itself is very easy, and you could wear it as a singular person, or as a group of girls.
All you need is:
– Slinky, black, mini dress
– Orange satin sash fitted around the waist as a belt (Or just an orange belt)
– Black stockings
– Black heals / pumps
For the hair, comb through a gel type of product, and fix in a bun, low, at the nape of the neck. Ensure you comb your fringe back into your bun.
Now, we need to work on the make up. You will need:
– Smokey coloured eye shadow – rubbed back from the eye lid out. Use on the lower lid, and leave close to the eye with the lighter colours. Otherwise, the dark shadow will make your eyes look like they’re too close together.
– Light coloured eye shadow with white tones for the eye brow ridge, and inside eye
– Smokey / Black eye liner, to be rubbed under the eye lid, and applied as a thick line on the top lid
– Eye brow pencil or tinted eye brows, groomed
– Glossy red lipstick
– Pink blush broadly used along cheek bone and up to eye.
To see photo’s for ideas, check out this page on my 80s Fashion Fancy Dress website.
Bonus points if you have a smokin’ hot attitude!
Double Bonus Points for getting a a hot guy to rock up to the party as Robert Palmer, in smart suit.
Be a real hit, and cue the Robert Palmer music on entrance, and do the in sync dance movements!
The Robert Palmer Girls image was also portrayed in Ally McBeal, with the character Billy, hiring his own crew of “Palmer Girls” to impress a client on one episode.
Shania Twain parodied the Palmer Girls, by having men become the sexy background to her 1999 hit single, “Man, I Feel Like a Woman!”
RIP Robert Palmer.